Harry and Doris Tuffin started the business in 1955 with a garage and two petrol pumps. After a short while they added a small shop to the business.
In 1969, the company bought a two acre site on the edge of the village and in 1972 opened a 3,000 sq. foot supermarket and petrol station at Crosslikey, Churchstoke.
In 1974, a Sunday Market was started on the car park of the site.
In 1976, Harry Tuffin died aged 57, this was a major blow to the family and the company.
In 1982, Harry Tuffin Ltd. joined NISA (National Independant Supermarkets Association). NISA are a buying group for independent supermarkets which enabled it to buy goods at fantastic costs which we can pass on to our customers.
On the 1st May 2012 we welcomed our new owners,
The Midcounties Co-operative.
Chronological events in the history of Tuffins:
1950 – Harry Tuffin started working for himself
1955 – the Company started
1972 – Crosslikey supermarket at Churchstoke opened
1976 – Harry Tuffin died
1978 – Doris Tuffin died
1981 – Opened in Knighton at the old cinema
1982 – Joined NISA
1983 – Moved sites at Knighton to Whitehall
1988 – Craven Arms opened
1993 – HT purchased the Montgomeryshire Natural Spring Water Company
2001 – Bishop’s Castle opened
2006 – Cleobury Mortimer opened
2007 – Ludlow opened
2009 – Machynlleth opened
2010 - Lydney & Coleford Opened, both previously Somerfield stores
2011 - Holywell opened.
2012 - On the 1st May the family sold all the Harry Tuffins stores to The Midcounties Co-operative.